Monday, October 14, 2013

a new fossil... and 4 more brooches

I had a nice drive out into the country this morning on a picture perfect Fall day. My goal, to pick up the rock slabs my stone cutting friend Greta had cut for me from some of the rough I had picked up during last month's rock hounding expedition. She has an awesome rock saw that can cut through the big chunks.
While I was there waiting on the last cut I, of course, started poking my nose into all her boxes of rocks. You wouldn't believe how much stuff that is...
I saw this slab of fossil fern wood and asked if she'd sell it to me. Lovely Greta, I'm sure she realized that she has about 3 lifetimes worth of rock to work with so into my goodie bag it went... I never leave Greta's without many things I had no idea I needed until I saw them...

The thing that really caught my eye were the layers along the edge. A lovely blush along with taupe, a darker stripe, and cream. I can see a few pair of drop earrings as well as some very cool cufflinks in that edge.


Something not noticeable in the photos, is that in all of those voids, there's the sparkle of tiny druzy quartz crystals. I'm really looking forward to cutting into this!

 ***

And since it's been a month since my last post, here are the four latest brooches in the etsymetal brooch a week challenge.


A beauty of a lace agate, semi transparent so you can see into it and the botryoidal formation, those very organic looking globular forms. I've designed it so that it can been worn as a pendant as well as a brooch.


*

This is a piece of ocean jasper with a small pinkish rhodolite garnet.


*

I think this one can hardly be called a brooch, more of a pin, it's a teeny little thing, 
and is a piece of Picasso jasper.


*

Last week's brooch, #41
 is a large piece of mookaite from Australia, paired with a little yellow citrine.


Right now I'm working on this week's design, but I'm not quite sure how it's going to all come together yet, so I won't say more... not yet


No comments:

Post a Comment