Sunday, October 3, 2010

A recent Sunday afternoon...

Recently my friend Louise called and asked if I might be interested in driving out to Joy Creek Nursery in Scappoose, Oregon to attend a free class on clematis given by Wim Snoeijer of The Netherlands. It was a beautiful, warm Indian summer day, Louise is an amazing gardner, plus she has a little red Mini Cooper. How could I resist?

                                                                  Joy Creek Nursery

We learned how to properly classify the various types of clamatis. I admit to not remembering a thing, except feeling a bit like I do when I'm at my French class... Anyway, we looked at lots of pretty blooms all of which I could see myself happily owning!


We took a little snack break after the class to give our brains a rest, found some shade and Louise unpacked a most wonderful spread including a variety of cherry tomatoes from her garden and pears plucked from her trees. She also made oatmeal cookies that were to die for. I think I ate 4 of them.
Louise



We enjoyed walking through the gardens admiring the various textures and colors, and of course, getting a few ideas for next Spring. I have no idea what the names of most of these plants are. I never seem to pay attention to that. I suppose I should try harder, but the visuals are what grab me.

love this color

a gorgeous red rose











I actually have this in my yard. It's cool.
                                               














just kidding... poor Ophelia.

6 comments:

  1. ...what a beautiful day for a Sunday! It looks so nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous photos, unreal almost those colors and textures. good for you, glad you had such a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful photos. Another person mentioned this nursery recently and now it is on my list of places to visit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. helen, go on a nice day. It's a pretty drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to spend the day. And it is so sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Lois, it doesn't always rain in Oregon!

    ReplyDelete